Farasbichi Bhaaji i.e. French Beans dry vegetable preparation, is a delicious, simple and nutritious dish! When we say greens, we generally think of only leafy vegetables. But veggies like French Beans too come under green vegetables, which should be consumed atleast twice a week.
This vegetable has a sweet taste in itself and the simpler the preparation the better it tastes! Here I have used minimum spices and some fresh coconut which enhances the overall taste of the vegetable.
For more such nutritious dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too…..
Here’s the recipe for Farasbichi Bhaaji….
Prep Time : 15 min
Cooking Time : 35 min
Serves : 4
- 300 gm Farasbi (French Beans/Farsi)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Bedgi Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tbs Jaggery…. To be adjusted
- 2 tbs Fresh Grated Coconut
- Salt to taste
For The Tempering :
- 3 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves (about 8-10 curry leaves)
- To make the Farasbichi Bhaaji, first break away the ends of each bean and do away with the strings at the edges of the beans if any. (mostly needed for the mature ones)
- Wash the beans well with clean water and drain.
- Chop the beans and set aside.
- Heat a pressure pan and add oil to it.
- When the oil heats up, add the mustard seeds. As soon as they splutter, add the asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Allow them to splutter and lower the flame to minimum.
- Add the turmeric powder and mix. Immediately add the chopped french beans and saute on medium heat.
- Add the red chilli powder, salt and jaggery. Give it a good mix.
- Add water almost upto half the level of the beans and increase the flame to high.
- Put on the lid of the pressure pan and cook for one whistle on high flame.
- Switch off the flame and let cool. When the pressure releases naturally, open the lid.
- Again switch on the flame to high and evaporate all the water in the vegetable.
- When the water is almost about to evaporate completely, add the grated coconut and mix.
- Check seasoning and add salt or jaggery or red chilli powder if desired.
- Switch off the flame when the vegetable is dry and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve this delicious and nutritious Farasbichi Bhaaji with phulkas or Moong Daal Fry and steamed rice.
- Serve the Phodnichi Koshimbir and Sweet And Sour Coconut Chutney by the side.