Tondlichya Kaachryaa is a stir fry vegetable made from Tondli/Ivy Gourds. Vegetables which are cooked by stir frying, without using water till slightly charred (Kharpus…a Marathi word for the same), are generally referred to as Kaachrya in the Marathi language. One more famous vegetable on these lines is the delicious, Bataatyachya Kaachrya (Potato stir fry).
Tondli/Ivy Gourd is also called as Scarlet Gourd, Tindora, Kowai fruit and has a few more names too! It grows primarily in tropical climates and is commonly found in the Southern Indian state of Kerala. It can be found in most of the Indian cuisines.
This vegetable is quite nutritious as it provides us with a wide number of health benefits which you can easily find on the net, making it beneficial to diabetics too. And yes, when we say greens are good for our health, it doesn’t mean only the leafy vegetables but also all other green vegetables including ivy gourds! And it is really beneficial to our health if we consume them atleast twice or thrice a week!
There are numerous recipes for preparing this vegetable. Here I am presenting a very simple but equally delicious recipe for ivy gourds using very little spices.
For more such green vegetable recipes, do take a look at the following dishes too….
Here’s the recipe for the delicious Tondlichya Kaachryaa…..
Prep Time : 25 min
Cooking Time : 35-45 min
Serves : 4-5
- 750 gm Ivy Gourds (Tondli/Tendli/Tindora)
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Bedgi Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Corriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- Salt to taste
For The Tempering :
- 4 tbs Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves (kadipatta …. optional)
- To make Tondlichya Kaachryaa, wash the ivy gourds thoroughly in clean water and drain them.
- Cut them diagonally into thin slices and set aside.
- Heat a pan and add oil to it for tempering. Add the mustard seeds and as soon as they splutter add the asafoetida and the curry leaves.
- Add the turmeric powder and mix. Immediately add the slices ivy gourds, some salt and saute for a few minutes.
- Cover and cook for a while on low to medium flame stirring occasionally.
- Repeat this step till the gourds are well cooked. You can keep some water on the lid, which will create steam inside the pan and aid in faster cooking.
- But this vegetable does require a little more cooking time as it is cooked only on steam without adding water and the finished product can seem to be quite less in context of the quantity!
- When the vegetable is almost cooked, add the remaining spice powders and mix. Cover and cook again for some more time.
- When done, open the lid and let the vegetable cook a bit further till it becomes slightly charred, stirring occasionally.
- Check seasoning and adjust salt if required.
- Serve these delicious Tondlichya Kaachryaa with phulkas, steamed rice and some Daalichi Aamti with Sukkya Dhyahyaatlya Mirchya and Paalak Raita as sides!