Lemon Rice is a traditional recipe from South India. It is a very simple preparation and is absolutely delicious. Yes, and it is also one of the best ways to utilise leftover rice!
During my childhood, we had varied neighbours. Few were Keralites. I learnt to eat such foods at their houses or when we went for picnics and shared their foods. That is when I was introduced to lemon rice. Loved it a lot and since then it has been one of my favourites!
For more such dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too….
1. Biryani Rice
2. Masoor Pulao
Here’s the recipe for Lemon Rice….
Prep Time : 20 min
Cooking Time : 15 min
Serves : 4
- 4 cups Cooked Rice
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3-4 tsp Lemon Juice… To be adjusted as per preference
- Salt to taste
To Be Roasted :
- 3 tbs Raw Groundnuts (Peanuts)
- 12 Cashewnuts
For The Tempering :
- 3 tbs Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad Daal (Split Black Skinless Daal)
- 1 tsp Chanaa Daal
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida (heaped)
- 2 Green Chillies
- 2 Dry Red Bedgi Chillies…. Deseeded
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves (12 curry leaves)
- For making the Lemon Rice, we first need to cook rice so as to get 4 cups of it. Cool it down a bit.
- Next, heat a pan and add oil to it. Roast the peanuts and cashshewnuts in it separately and set them aside.
- In the same hot oil make a tempering by adding the mustard seeds .
- As soon as they splutter, add the asafoetida, urad daal, chanaa daal, chopped green chillies, deseeded red chilli pieces and the curry leaves.
- Add the turmeric powder and mix. Immediately add the cooked rice and salt to taste.
- Give it a good toss and add in the roasted peanuts and cashewnuts.
- Mix well and cover for a minute or two. Uncover and drizzle the lemon juice.
- Switch off the flame and mix all together. Check for seasoning and sourness. Adjust taste if required.
- Serve the delicious Lemon Rice alongwith some fresh homemade curds and some Fresh Turmeric Ginger Pickle in Lemon Juice.