Prawn Cutlets is a delicious starter to any meal. Or can double up as a snack for parties! Prawns or shrimp as some call it are found in various sizes. For this particular cutlet, the smaller sized prawns are preferable. If using the very tiny shrimp, then it would be advisable to double the quantity mentioned in the recipe.
The preparation of these cutlets is quite simple and quick. The spices used are easily available in the pantry and you can always make some changes as per preference! Again, shallow frying the cutlets results in less absorption of oil, keeping it on the healthier side!
For more such dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too…..
1. Tisrya Vade
2. Mutton Chops
3. Mori Vade
Here’s the recipe for the delicious Prawn Cutlets…..
Prep Time : 30 min
Cooking Time : 30 min
Serves : 3 (yields 6 large cutlets)
- 3/4 cup Prawns (small, shelled & deveined prawns/shrimps/kolambi/sungta)
- 1 cup Chopped Onions
- 1/4 cup Chopped Tomato
- 2 cups Grated Boiled Potatoes (approximately 5 small-medium potatoes)
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Green Chilli…. Finely minced
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Chaat Masala
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 3 tbs Cornflour / 1/4 cup Breadcrumbs …. To be adjusted
- 1/4 cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Salt to taste
- 3 tsp Oil for cooking the prawn mixture
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Oil as required for shallow frying the cutlets
For Dusting The Cutlets :
- 2 tbs Cornflour
- 2 tbs Rice Flour
- 4 tbs Semolina
- To make Prawn Cutlets, wash the shelled and deveined prawns under clean water and drain. Chop them roughly and apply lemon juice and 2 pinches turmeric powder and set aside.
- Heat a saucepan and add oil to it. When it heats up, add the chopped green chilli and the ginger garlic paste and saute.
- Add the chopped onions and saute for a while.
- When they turn translucent, add the chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Cook till the tomatoes turn mushy. Add the chopped prawns, garam masala powder and salt to taste.
- Saute for about two to three minutes. Add the chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Cool the mixture well and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add the grated potatoes, chaat masala and the cornflour/breadcrumbs. Adjust seasoning as per taste. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 6 parts and roll into cutlets of desired shape.
- Dust with the cornflour, rice flour and semolina mixture.
- Heat a pan and add oil to it for shallow frying the cutlets.
- Release the cutlets one at a time in the pan and fry on medium to high heat.
- When one side turns crispy, flip and cook the other side too.
- When the cutlets are crispy on both sides, transfer to an absorbent paper.
- Serve these delicious Prawn Cutlets alongwith a meal of hot steamed rice and Sungta Aambat with some fresh salad by the side!