Makkalbeej is a Konkani name for fried besan coated peanuts. This is a delicious snack, prepared specially during Diwali. It is a very simple recipe requiring minimum ingredients and can be prepared in quite less time.
Besan i.e. chickpea flour which is used to coat the peanuts, gives it a delicious flavour and crunch. Makkalbeej make for a delicious snack at tea time or even during parties. It is a snack my mom always made during Diwali since my childhood and is one of my favourites!
For some more Diwali snacks do take a look at the following recipes too….
2. Lasun Shev
3. Kanik Laadoo
4. Jowar Chakli
5. Besan Laadoo
Here’s the recipe for the delicious crunchy Makkalbeej…..
Prep Time : 10 min
Cooking Time : 15 min
Serves : 5 (yields 2 1/2 cups)
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 1 cup Peanuts
- 3/4 cup Besan
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 3/4 tsp Bedgi Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- Salt to taste
- Black Salt as required
- Oil for frying
- To make Makkalbeej, assemble all the above mentioned ingredients except black salt and oil in a mixing bowl.
- Add water as required to get a thick coating of the batter on the peanuts.
- Heat a kadhai and add oil to it for frying.
- When the oil heats up, lower the flame and scoop about a heaped tablespoon of the peanuts mixture with your fingers.
- Release them in the hot oil separating them with your fingers in the process.
- Increase the flame to medium and fry the peanuts till golden brown on all sides.
- When done, drain them on an absorbent paper and sprinkle some black salt on them.
- Repeat these steps till all the peanuts are fried.
- When cooled, pack the peanuts in an airtight container.
- Serve these delicious Makkalbeej on Festive occasions or just as a snack with hot coffee or Masala Chai!
If desired, you can add some aamchur powder (dry mango powder) and even some chaat masala to the peanuts mixture. Adjust the salt accordingly and avoid sprinkling black salt in this case.