Paneer Bhurji is a type of scrambled, or say crumbled cottage cheese stir fry in an onion tomato mixture with some aromatic spices. Throughout India, one can find umpteen varieties of paneer dishes. Paneer which mostly originated from the North of India is now a national favourite! It is now included in almost each cuisine in their own unique ways!
Paneer is a high protein food and highly nutritious. Those who either so not like paneer much or are unable to consume it due to any particular health issue, can substitute Tofu in this recipe! Nowadays, thankfully some good quality, soft tofu is available in some supermarkets in India too! In this recipe, I have added Kitchen King Masala of a particular brand, as it gives a unique delicious flavour to this dish. If unavailable, you can use only garam masala too!
For more such delicious dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too…..
Here’s the recipe for Paneer Bhurji…..
Prep Time : 25 min
Cooking Time : 30 min
Serves : 4
- 350 gm Paneer
- 4 cups Chopped Onions (4 Onions approx)
- 1 cup Chopped Tomatoes (2 Tomatoes approx)
- 3/4 Chopped Capsicum (Green Bell Pepper / Shimla Mirchi / Dhobli Mirchi)
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Bedgi Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Kitchen King Masala (Everest)
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- Salt to taste
- Chopped Corriander Leaves for garnishing
For The Tempering :
- 4 tbs Oil
- 2 tsp Homemade Ghee (Clarified Butter)…. Optional
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 3 Green Chillies …. Minced (to be adjusted as per preferred spiciness)
- To make Paneer Bhurji, chop the onions, tomatoes and capsicum and set aside.
- Heat a kadhai and add oil to it. When it heats up, add the cumin seeds and the minced green chillies.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till translucent. Add to it the ginger garlic paste and mix well. Saute for a while.
- Add the turmeric powder and mix. After a while add the chopped capsicum and saute for a while. Cover and cook for a few minutes.
- Uncover and add the chopped tomatoes. Mix well and again cover and cook till all the ingredients are well cooked.
- Add the red chilli powders, garam masala powder, kitchen king masala powder and salt to taste.
- Saute for a few minutes. Now crumble the paneer with your fingers and add it to the kadhai.
- Mix well and cook for a few minutes, but not too long as the paneer may then stiffen.
- Switch off the flame and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve the delicious Paneer Bhurji with Roti, Khasta Paratha, or with some Daal Tadka and Paneer Vegetable Pulao.
- Serve a cooling Paalak Raita as an accompaniment and Doodhi Sabudana Kheer as a dessert!