Boplyaachi Bhaaji is a very simple, delicious and nutritious vegetable made using bhopla i.e. pumpkin. It is said that yellow coloured vegetables and fruits are good for our skin. One such nutritious vegetable is pumpkin.
The process of preparing this vegetable is very simple and the tempering of cumin gives it a delicious flavour. Topping it with fresh curd is a choice, but I feel it complements the sweetness of the pumpkin and the cumin flavour.
Almost no spices are used in this recipe except turmeric powder and this helps to enhance the original taste of the pumpkin. Hence it is important to buy a good, fresh, bright orange pumpkin.
For more such delicious dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too…..
Here’s the recipe for Bhoplyaachi Bhaaji…..
Prep Time : 15 min
Cooking Time : 35 min
Serves : 4 – 5
- 700 gm Pumpkin (Bhopla/Kaddu)
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 cup Fresh Grated Coconut
- Fresh Homemade Curd…. For topping if desired
- Salt to taste
For The Tempering :
- 3 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 3 Green Chillies …. Chopped as desired
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves (10 curry leaves)
- To make the Bhoplyaachi Bhaaji, first discard the thick peel of the pumpkin and wash it well.
- Cut it into chunks of medium size.
- Heat a kadhai and add the oil to it.
- When it heats up, add the cumin seeds. When they splutter, add the asafoetida, chopped green chillies and the curry leaves.
- Add to it the turmeric powder and stir. Immediately add the pumpkin chunks.
- Add the salt and stir.
- Cover and cook till done, stirring occasionally.
- When the pumpkin is cooked, add the grated coconut and increase the flame.
- Evaporate all water released by the pumpkin.
- When the vegetable is dry, switch off the heat and transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with some more grated coconut and serve the Bhoplyaachi Bhaaji, topped with some fresh homemade curd if desired (this enhances the overall taste) with phulkas, Paalak Daal and some steamed rice.
- Serve some Mulyaachi Koshimbir by the side and end the delicious meal with a dessert of Shevayaanchi Kheer.