Mix Vegetable Korma is a Maharashtrian dish cooked in a delicious coconut based curry with some traditional spices. In India, we can find various recipes for vegetable korma i.e. in the South coconut is used in the preparation whereas in the North, it is curd based. The spices used also differ in these different regions.
In this particular dish, I have used vegetables which are locally available and traditionally used. You can add some baby corn, broccoli instead of cauliflower, some coloured bell peppers too, if desired. The taste of the vegetable will still be the same.
Now, for the origin of this recipe. Few years back, some stores in my area started selling chapatis, bhakaris and a few cooked vegetables. Sometimes, though rarely, we bought those vegetables. I observed that many times the vegetables had a typical coconut gravy sans onions or tomatoes. Another thing I noticed was the flavour, which resembled a lot like the one imparted by Malvani Masala.
Hence, once I tried making this korma on those lines, using just coconut and Malvani Mutton Masala (store bought). And, it turned out just like those store bought ones, which actually I had started loving. The taste of this gravy is quite subtle and different, as it doesn’t have onion or ginger garlic paste in it! If you wish to cook a no onion no garlic dish for a particular festive occasion, then this dish is apt for it!
For more such dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too……
Here’s the recipe for the delicious Mix Vegetable Korma…..
Prep Time : 20 min
Cooking Time : 30 min
Serves : 5
- 1 1/2 cups Cauliflower Florets
- 1 cup Chopped French Beans
- 1 cup Chopped Carrots
- 3/4 cup Diced Potatoes
- 1/2 cup Diced Capsicum
- 1 cup Green Peas
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Malvani Mutton Masala / Malvani Masala
- 1 tsp Tamarind
To Be Roasted :
- 2 tsp Oil
- 3/4 cup Grated Fresh Coconut
- 1/2 cup Grated Dry Coconut
- 2 Cloves
- 2 sticks Cinnamon (1″ each)
For The Tempering :
- 2 tbs Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- To make the Mix Vegetable Korma, first wash all the vegetables throughly under sufficient water and chop into medium pieces. Dice the potatoes into medium cubes and immerse in clean water till further use.
- Heat a saucepan and add oil to it. Add the mustard seeds and as soon as they splutter, add the asafoetida and the curry leaves.
- Lower the flame and add the turmeric powder and the kashmiri red chilli powder.
- Immediately add the cauliflower florets and the diced potatoes and mix well.
- Add about 1 cup water to it and cover with a lid. Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Uncover and add the other chopped vegetables. Mix well and add more water if required to bring the water level almost upto the level of the vegetables.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Cook covered on medium heat, stirring occasionally till all the vegetables are cooked.
- In the meantime heat a kadhai and add oil to it for roasting the coconut.
- Add the cloves and cinnamon and roast for about a minute and set aside.
- Now to the same oil, add the fresh coconut and roast till slightly browned.
- At this stage, add the dry grated coconut and roast further for a few more minutes.
- When the grated coconut is slightly browned, switch off the heat and let the mixture cool down.
- Grind together the cloves, cinnamon, tamarind and the roasted coconut using sufficient water, to get a smooth paste.
- Add this paste to the cooked vegetables alongwith some salt to taste.
- Mix well and add some water to get a medium thick gravy. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat.
- Simmer the gravy for about 5 to 7 minutes. You can add some more water if the gravy becomes too thick.
- Transfer the korma to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve this delicious Mix Vegetable Korma with hot phulkas or Bhaakari or alongwith hot steamed rice and Moong Daal Fry.
- Do serve some Aappe Aamle Lonche and Mulyaachi Koshimbir by the side to complete the meal.
- Can be served even as an accompaniment to Veg Pulav along with some crispy Phodi for a delicious meal too.
- End the meal with the quintessential Gaajar Halwa or Shevayaanchi Kheer for dessert!