Taushe Saglein is a special cucumber salad/koshimbir from the NKGSB cuisine of Karwar. It is made using a special variety of cucumbers available only during the monsoons. The taushe is even used to bake a special cake called as Tausali (Dhondas in Marathi).
The preparation of this salad is unique as it uses a ground paste/chutney of coconut and mustard seeds combined with a little curd for the dressing. The taste of this sagley is different from the regular cucumber salads (koshimbir). The ground paste teamed with the curd gives the sagley a very unique and delicious flavour. Point to be noted is that, too much curd is not required here. Though you can increase the quantity as desired or to adjust the taste.
Either a large Taushe can be used for the sagley, or else we can use the smaller ones available nowadays! The Taushe have a different sweetness and needs to be salted and squeezed well before use. This is a traditional recipe from my grandmother’s kitchen and one of my personal favourites!
If you like such dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too….
1. Paalak Raita
Here’s the recipe for the delicious Taushe Sagley …..
Prep Time : 20 min
Cooking Time : 15 min
Serves : 6
- 1/2 kg Taushe (Large cucumbers available during monsoons/Kaakdi)
- 3/4 cup Fresh Grated Coconut
- 3-4 Green Chillies… Less Spicy Variety
- 2-3 tbs Fresh Thick Curds…. To be adjusted as required
- Salt to taste
For The Tempering :
- 2 tsp Homemade Ghee
- 2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- To make Taushe Saglein, first wash and peel the taushe.
- If using a single large taushe, cut it into half horizontally and discard the ripe and stiff seeds if any. This step is not necessary if using the small taushe.
- Chop it finely and rub about 1/4 tsp salt into it. Keep aside in a sieve so that all the water released by the taushe due to the salting, drains away.
- Set the salted taushe aside for atleast half an hour. Now, take a fistful of the taushe and give it a tight squeeze, so that any extra water is discarded. Repeat this with all the chopped taushe.
- Heat a small kadhai for the tempering and add homemade ghee to it.
- Add the mustard seeds and as soon as they splutter add the asafoetida and switch off the heat.
- Pour this tempering over the grated coconut.
- Grind the tempered coconut along with the green chillies and a little salt, to a slightly coarse paste, using thick curds for the same. Add some more curds if required. Here water shouldn’t be used at any stage.
- Add this paste to the squeezed taushe and mix well. Check the seasoning and add salt accordingly. This is important, as the squeezed taushe does retain some saltiness!
- Serve the Taushe Saglein immediately with a meal of Mugaa Shaak, hot steamed rice and Daalichi Aamti and some Aappe Aamle Lonche and fried Sukkya Dhahyatlya Mirchya.
- Serve some nutritious Paatolyo as a sweet to complete the delicious traditional meal.