Pasta in white sauce is a delicious dish, easily available in many restaurants. Generally, many a times it is prepared without using vegetables. But on the healthier side, it is better to add vegetables to this dish. Had first tried making this dish few years back for a project for my daughter’s French class. Since then it is a family favourite!
I have used Penne pasta made from durum wheat semolina for this recipe, to keep the health quo high! Have added some veggies and also used olive oil for the white sauce to reduce the butter. Again I have preferred using homemade butter for the same. And I have avoided using cheese for the same, and believe me it is not even needed! Overall, it is indeed a healthy dish.
Penne (Italian word) is a type of pasta with cylinder shaped pieces. One has many choices, as many more types of pasta like bow pasta, farfalle, shells, orecchiette, etc. are easily available in the market. For this recipe, one can use pasta of their choice.
You can take a look at the following recipes too, for more such delicious dishes!
3. Mutton Chops
Prep Time : 20 min
Cooking Time : 35-40 min
Serves : 3
- 2 cups Pasta (Penne Rigate made from durum wheat semolina)
- 8 cups water
- 3 tsp Salt…. For boiling pasta
- 2 tsp Oil…. For boiling pasta
For The White Sauce :
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 3 tbs Butter
- 5 tbs Whole Wheat Flour
- 5 cups Milk
- 2 tsp Mixed Herbs
- 1 1/2 tsp Chilli Flakes
- Salt to taste
For The Vegetable Mixture :
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 1/2 cup Chopped Onions
- 1/2 cup Green Bell Pepper…. Diced
- 1/2 cup Red Bell Pepper…. Diced
- 1/2 cup Yellow Bell Pepper…. Diced
- 1 cup Broccoli Florets…. Blanched
- 1/2 cup Sweet Corn…. Boiled
- 6 Olives… Chopped
- To make the Pasta In White Sauce, start with boiling the water to cook the pasta. As soon as it comes to a rolling boil, add the oil and salt to it.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook till the pasta is done. This takes about 10-12 minutes.
- When the pasta is al-dente, drain it and rinse with room temperature water. Set aside in a sieve. Reserve some of the cooking water for further use.
- Heat a pan and add the oil for sauteeing the vegetables.
- Add the garlic and saute. Add the chopped onions and saute adding a tiny amount of salt. Cook till translucent.
- Add the diced bell peppers and saute for a while. Now add the boiled sweet corn and the blanched broccoli and saute. Cook for a while.
- When the veggies are almost cooked, add the chopped olives and switch off the heat and set aside.
- Heat another saucepan and add the olive oil for the white sauce. Add the butter too.
- When the butter melts add the whole wheat flour and saute. See to it that lumps are not formed.
- Add the milk, a small amount at a time and keep mixing so as to break any lumps formed in the process. Keep the heat low.
- When all the milk is added, increase the heat and bring it to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add the mixed herbs, chilli flakes and salt to taste.
- Now add the sauteed vegetables and the pasta and mix well. Check seasoning and add more salt or herbs if required.
- Lower the heat and simmer for a few minutes. If the sauce thickens too much, add the reserved pasta water as required.
- Switch off the heat and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with some more mixed herbs and chili flakes and serve the delicious Pasta In White Sauce with some crispy garlic bread by the side!