Mutton i.e. Goat meat is consumed by many. Goat meat has a lot of health benefits for the body which is why it is in so much of demand.
The low levels of saturated fats and cholesterol combined with it’s high iron and protein content makes goat meat a good choice for anyone looking for a healthy red meat.
We can find quite a lot of mutton dishes prepared differently by different communities in India. One such mutton recipe is this Mutton Chops. If cooked rightly, these chops taste really good!
For more non vegetarian recipes do give a try to the following too…..
1) Methi Murg
Mutton chops, are a favourite of my family and here’s the recipe for the same…..
- 8 Mutton Chop Pieces
- 2 tbs Curds
- 6 Garlic cloves
- 1/4″ Ginger
- 1 Green Chilly
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Bedgi Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Corriander powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for Shallow Frying The Mutton Chops
For the flour paste :
- 1/4 tsp Rice flour
- 1 tsp Water
For coating the chops :
- 1 Egg
- 1 pinch Salt
- Bread Crumbs as required
For Garnishing :
- Corriander leaves
- To make the Mutton Chops, first thoroughly wash the chop pieces under clean water and set aside to drain.
- When all the water has drained away, transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Grind together the ginger, garlic and the green chilly to get a smooth paste.
- In another bowl, mix together, this paste, curds, all the spice powders and salt to taste.
- Apply this mixture to the mutton chop pieces, such that each chop is completely coated by the marinade. Keep aside for about an hour.
- After an hour, transfer all the chops along with the marinade to a pressure pan. Without adding any water, cook for 3 whistles and on low heat for an additional 5 minutes.
- When the pressure goes down, open the lid and check whether the mutton chops are fully cooked.
- Transfer these cooked chops to a plate and switch on the flame again to thicken the water released by the chops, into a thick sauce.
- Dissolve the rice flour in water and add it to the boiling sauce.
- As soon as the sauce starts thickening, check seasoning. Adjust any spice powders or salt, if required at this stage.
- Transfer the chop pieces in the pan and coat well with the thick sauce.
- In another bowl, break open the egg, and beat well adding a pinch of salt.
- In a flat dish, spread the required bread crumbs.
- Heat a thick bottomed pan, and add the required oil for shallow frying the chops.
- Dip each chop, first in the beaten egg and then coat well with the bread crumbs.
- Shallow fry the coated chops in hot oil till crisp on all sides.
- When done, drain the chops on an absorbent paper.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with some chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve the delicious Mutton Chops with a fresh onion tomato salad.