Kaanda Batata Rassa is a simple and delicious curry vegetable made using onions, potatoes, jaggery and very few spices. Easy to cook and simply delicious, this dish is an all time favourite of my family.
One can find an umpteen number of potato vegetable recipes throughout India. Potato, actually is very nutritious if eaten in proper proportion and cooked in a healthy way, rather than fried! It is quite a popular vegetable and a favourite of many too! One such dish made from potatoes in Maharashtra i.e. Sukki Batata Bhaaji, is also quite popular and one of my favourites too!
Potatoes are naturally gluten free and are packed with nutritional benefits needed for a healthy lifestyle. Potato’s potassium, vitamin C, and Vitamin B6 couples with it’s lack of cholesterol all support heart health. Potatoes are one of the world’s most versatile vegetables too and hence is used in the preparation of many dishes worldwide!
For more such dishes, take a look at the following recipes too…..
2. Aaloo Gobhi
Here’s the recipe for the delicious and nutritious, Kaanda Batata Rassa…….
Prep Time : 15 min
Cooking Time : 20 min
Serves : 4
Cup Used :200 ml
- 3 Medium Potatoes
- 1 1/2 Medium Onions
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 1/4 inch Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Bedgi Red Chilli powder… To be adjusted as per preference
- 1/4 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Corriander powder
- 1 tbs Jaggery …….. To be adjusted
- Salt to taste
For tempering :
- 2 tbs Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- To begin making the Kaanda Batata Rassa, first peel the potatoes and cut into medium cubes. Immerse in sufficient clean water till use.
- Chop finely the onions and grind together the garlic and ginger to get a fine ginger garlic paste.
- Heat a thick kadhai, and add the oil to it. When the oil heats up, add the mustard seeds. As soon as they splutter, add the asafoetida.
- Now add the chopped onions and saute. Add a little salt at this stage to speed up the cooking process of the onions.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally on low to medium heat.
- Uncover and cook for a while. When the onions turn translucent, add the ginger garlic paste and saute well.
- After about two to three minutes, add the turmeric powder, red chilli powders and the corriander powder.
- Saute for a while. Add the chopped potatoes and mix well.
- Add sufficient water for the potatoes to be cooked. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally.
- When the potatoes are fully cooked, add the jaggery and salt to taste.
- Switch off the heat and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve this delicious Kaanda Batata Rassa with hot phulkas or Bhaakari or with some hot steamed rice with Moong Daal Fry or Nutri Daal Fry.
- Serve an accompaniment of fresh cucumbers or some Paalak Raita and Sweet and Sour NKGSB Style Raw Mango Chutney by the side to complete the meal.