Doodhi Methi Muthiyas are a delicious and nutritious snacks or say breakfast dish. Doodhi i.e. bottle gourd is an immensely nutritious vegetable with various health benefits. Similarly, Methi i.e. Fenugreek leaves too have a number of health benefits. These two vegetables when combined with various healthy flours and some wonderful spices, create magic in the form of these delicious steamed muthiyas.
Muthiyas are a speciality of Gujrati cuisine. These are generally prepared using coarse whole wheat flour and besan (chickpea flour). But here I have used some millet flours too! And have added a twist of mine by mixing in some oats flour in the mixture. Well, this unique recipe comes from my dear school friend’s mom, whose is an expert in preparing these delicious muthiyas.
During the school days, I always loved this particular friend’s tiffin as her mother would send these yummy muthiyas, dhoklas, and few other snacks which weren’t prepared in our community. These were quite new for me, but I simply fell in love with quite a few or say many of these delicious Gujrati dishes. Once again, I pestered my mom to learn to prepare these muthiyas, or dhoklas from my other Gujrati friend’s mom who resided nearby. So started this new journey of these wonderful, delicious and nutritious Gujrati snacks in our house too!
But, got the perfect recipe of these muthiyas just recently from that friend’s mom whose tiffin I devoured during my school days! Just added some oats to the original recipe!
For more such nutritious dishes or say even some methi dishes, do take a look at the following recipes……
1) Methi Thepla
3) Methi Murg
Prep Time : 25 min
Cooking Time : 20 min
Serves : 9-10
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 1 cup Grated Bottle gourd (Doodhi)
- 1 cup Fresh Fenugreek leaves (Methi)
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 cup Chickpea Flour (Besan)
- 1/4 cup Jowar Flour
- 1/4 cup Bajra Flour
- 1/4 cup Oats Flour
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 2 tsp Corriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 cup Oil (Moan)
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida
- Salt to taste
For tempering :
- 4 tbs Oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 3 tsp Sesame seeds (Til)
- 1/2 tsp Aniseed (Saunf)
- To make the Doodhi Methi Muthiya, first wash the methi and doodhi. Finely chop the methi leaves and grate the doodhi. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add to it, the mentioned flours, spice powders, the oil and salt to taste.
- Mix well. Now add sufficient water and knead into a semisoft dough. Roll into medium thickness cylindrical rolls and set aside.
- Add water to a steamer and heat it.
- Grease the steamer plate and place the muthiya rolls over it. Cover and steam for about 15 minutes on high heat.
- Open the lid and transfer the rolls to a plate.
- Cut into small discs of approximately 1 cm thickness.
- Heat a kadhai, and add the oil for tempering. Add the mustard seeds to it. When they splutter, add the asafoetida and the sesame seeds.
- Stir and add the muthiya immediately.
- Stir fry them on low heat till crisp.
- Serve hot for breakfast or as a tea time snack, with some Spicy Chilli Garlic Chutney and the deliciously aromatic Masala Chai.
One option is to add the Sesame seeds and aniseeds while kneading dough itself. And you can still use the sesame seeds in the tempering too!