HAKKA NOODLES are generally bit thicker type of noodles than the other varieties. We get Veg Hakka Noodles as well as Egg Hakka Noodles. I love the Egg noodles more.
I got introduced to these noodles when in college. We friends wouldn’t eat out then, but would surely go to each others’ houses and have lunch or dinner at times. On such one day, my friend’s mom gave me a plate of hot delicious Egg Hakka Noodles cooked with vegetables. I got hooked to this dish immediately!
As in those days, we wouldn’t get these dishes in restaurants and as we generally ate only home cooked food, I asked my friend’s mom for the recipe. One fine day, I tried cooking the same and it was a big disaster! But as time went by, I finally learnt how to exactly cook this dish with an addition of burnt garlic to it! Generally scrambled eggs are added to this dish, but I have used only vegetables as that’s how I like it! Here’s the recipe for the same….
- 200 gms Egg Noodles / Veg Noodles
- 15 cups Water
- 15 cloves Garlic….. finely Chopped
- 3 small Spring Onions
- 1 small Red Onion
- 1/4 cup Shredded Cabbage
- 1/4 cup Shredded Carrots
- 1/2 cup Shredded Green Capsicum
- 2 tsp Dark Soya Sauce
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Sauce
- 1/2 tsp White Vinegar
- 1 tsp Black Pepper powder
- 5 tbs Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- To begin making the Burnt Garlic Hakka Noodles With Vegetables, boil the water adding 2 – 3 teaspoons salt and a tablespoon of oil to it. When the water starts boiling, add the noodles and cook till done or Al Dente.
- Drain the noodles in a sieve and rinse with room temperature water in the sieve itself, to stop it’s further cooking. Drain out the water completely.
- Lightly rub about a tablespoon of oil to the noodles to prevent them from sticking to each other. Keep aside till use.
- Chop finely the spring onion greens and shred or slice thinly the onions and mentioned vegetables.
- Heat a wok and add the oil to it. Add the chopped garlic and saute till browned and the oil gets a garlic flavour.
- Add the onions and saute. Add the other vegetables after a while and cook on high flame for a while.
- Now add the sauces, vinegar, black pepper powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add the cooked hakka noodles and the chopped onion greens and give it a good mix.
- Check seasoning and adjust as per taste.
- If desired add some scrambled eggs at this stage.
- Serve hot for lunch or dinner or as a dish in a party menu!
I personally have always felt that the egg noodles tastes better than the veg noodles. Also I generally prefer using a bit more vegetables in the noodles to make it healthy. You can always add some more varieties of veggies as per preference!