Shevgyaachya Shengaa is the Marathi name for the vegetable Drumsticks. Who doesn’t know how healthy are these drumsticks! And, even more healthier are the leaves of the drumsticks tree. These simple but absolutely nutritious drumsticks have been used by many for making vegetables or in daals or in fish curries!
Drumsticks are beneficial for the young as well as the old. Generally many a times, this vegetable is made using coconut. But, it is difficult for Diabetics to consume too much of coconut. My mom who’s always on the lookout for diabetic friendly recipes, found this recipe on a television recipe show and passed it on to me. It uses minimum ingredients and is very easy to prepare. Here’s the simple recipe for Shevgyaachya shengaanchi bhaaji.
- 3 Drumsticks (shevgyaachya shengaa)
- 1 medium Onion
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 tbs Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- To make the shevgyaachya shengaanchi bhaaji, first wash and peel the drumsticks. Cut them into three inch pieces and immerse in water till use.
- Chop the onion finely.
- In a pan, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. When they splutter add the asafoetida.
- Immediately add the onion and a pinch of salt and and saute till transparent.
- Add the turmeric powder and the red chilli powder and mix well.
- Now add the drumsticks and mix. Add sufficient water to immerse the drumsticks and cover with a lid. Bring to a boil and then reduce the flame to medium.
- Cook covered stirring occasionally till the drumsticks are soft . Add more water during the process of required.
- Once the drumsticks are fully cooked and soft and the water has considerably reduced, uncover and lower the flame.
- In a cup mix together the water and milk and add it to the cooked vegetable. Bring to a boil stirring constantly, else the milk may split.
- Add salt as per taste and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with chapatis or some and salad or some Mulyaachi Koshimbir by the side and some Ambade Kaarle Lonche or the healthy Gaajar Flower Taaja Loncha as an accompaniment.
- If desired serve some Tival and Varan or Daali Toay with hot steamed rice too!
This is a very simple tasting, healthy and highly nutritious vegetable gravy. Can be prepared quickly and with the least number of ingredients and spices. Tastes great with chapatis and even daal rice!