Sweet and Sour Dates Chutney, also called as Khajoor Imli ki Chutney is a very delicious and healthy dip. A must in chaats or with Samosas or Vada paav, this is almost an iconic dip.
Due to the dates, tamarind and jaggery used, it is high on the health quotient! It imparts the much needed tang and sweetness to any dish. Indian street food or chaats or parathas, the list is endless, are all incomplete without this Dates and Jaggery Chutney. Though I seriously doubt how much dates or jaggery is used by the roadside hawkers selling those chaats! But homemakers do use these healthy ingredients!
Nowadays I have just started making this chutney on a large scale and storing it in the refrigerator in jars. It can stay upto many months in a refrigerator and comes handy whenever you want to make any chaat. Here goes the recipe for this Delicious Dates Chutney!
- 10 Dates
- 1/2 cup Tamarind
- 1 1/2 cup Jaggery
- 1 tsp Roasted Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Water
- To make the Sweet and Sour Dates Chutney, first soak the dates and tamarind separately in hot water for about an hour.
- Deseed the dates and grind to a smooth puree without using additional water.
- Deseed the tamarind too and grind to a smooth puree.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan, and add the water to it. Add both the purees and the jaggery to it and mix well.
- Cook on high flame stirring occasionally till the jaggery dissolves.
- Check for tanginess and sweetness. More or less jaggery and tamarind should be used as per preference. Adjust as per one’s taste.
- Add the spice powders and salt. Mix and switch off the heat.
- Cool and store in airtight container in the refrigerator till further use.