NENTHRA PAZHAM is a specific type of Kerala banana. Nenthra is the name of this variety and pazham means banana. This banana has a different flavour from the regular ones and it is equally delicious. I was lucky to get this from a shop selling only Keralite products. I bought them completely raw. They took exactly nine days to ripen.
In Kerala, Pazham Pori, a famous dish is made from the Nenthra bananas. It is basically a banana fritter. Here I have made Nenthra Pazham Nirachathu which is basically a banana fritter with a delicious sweet stuffing made using coconuts. Generally a all purpose flour slurry is used to coat the stuffed Nenthra Pazhams and then they are shallow fried in pure ghee. I have avoided using the slurry and to make it more nutritious, I have added some quick oats to the stuffing.
I have this memory from my childhood where my mom would make this with the regular green bananas. Hence, I thought of making the same using these special Kerala bananas.
- 3 Ripe Nenthra Pazhams
- 1/2 cup Fresh grated coconut
- 1/2 cup Jaggery
- 2 tbs Quick oats
- 1 tbs Almond powder
- 1tsp Cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tbs Homemade ghee
- To make the Nenthra pazham nirachathu, first we need to prepare it’s stuffing. In a heavy bottomed pan heat together the grated coconut, oats and jaggery, stirring till the jaggery melts. Add the cardamom powder and mix well. Set aside until use.
- Peel the bananas and cut into three equal pieces. Here you can avoid cutting the banana and use it as it is. Make a vertical slit in each piece or the whole banana, leaving about a centimetre at the end.
- Stuff about one to two teaspoons of the prepared mixture into each and set aside.
- Heat a pan and add the ghee to it.
- Add the stuffed bananas to the pan and shallow fry on low flame. Cover and cook on one side, then remove lid and flip the banana to cook the other side as well. Here you can opt to coat the bananas in an all purpose flour slurry and then cook.
- Serve hot as a dessert or just add a dollop of Vanilla Ice-cream by the side for that extra flavour.
Nenthra Pazham Nirachathu being a healthy and nutritious dish, can be given to kids as snacks too. Good for one and all. Do try this nutritious dish and add your own healthy twists as desired.