Tea drinking is a sort of daily ritual in many homes in INDIA. A favourite drink for the poor or the rich. It is the first thing had in the morning or during breaks or to satisfy hungerpangs by the poor or just to get that extra boost during work!
‘CHAI‘….This thick sweet drink is an integral part of the rhythm of life here!
The British tradition of serving tea with a little milk and sugar has continued for ages now. Again the practice of Ayurveda has resulted in a long standing tradition of herbal teas.Traditional Indian kitchens have long utilised the medicinal benefits offered by the various 🌿 herbal plants and spices such as Holy Basil (Tulsi), Cardamom (Elaichi), Pepper, Mint (Pudina), etc.
The taste of CHAI (sweet and milky), helps disguise the stronger and bitter flavors of some of the medicinal additives, while other more pleasant flavours like cardamom and ginger add a pleasing flavour and aroma to the tea along with the health benefits.
Here is a recipe prepared at our home, especially during monsoons and the winters to beat the cold weather and the numerous cold infections. Well, that’s just an excuse though to have a fantastic Masala Chai!
1 cup water
3/4 cup Milk…….to be adjusted as desired
3 tsp Sugar
2 tsp Black Tea Powder
1/4 cup Lemon grass stalks
1/4 cup Mint leaves…… to be adjusted as desired (optional)
1 inch Ginger
1 Black peppercorn
1 Green Cardamom
1 inch Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Fennel seeds
1. To make 2 cups of this sweet milky MASALA CHAI, first wash the lemon grass stalks, peeled ginger and mint leaves.
2. Crush coarsely the other mentioned whole spices along with the ginger, using a mortar and pestle.
3. In a tea pot or pan, add the crushed spices, washed and drained herbs, sugar and water. Bring to a boil on gas stove.
4. When the water starts boiling, add the tea powder. Now add the milk and bring to a boil again. Cover and keep aside for a few minutes.
5. Strain and serve hot in an earthen kullar with breakfast or as afternoon tea or just for the sake of having the CHAI!
Enjoy the Masala Chai with some spiced ginger cookies 🍪 or Indian traditional breakfast or with
2) Boiled Egg Sandwich or