Paatolyo, a sweet dish made using turmeric leaves, coconut, jaggery and rice paste especially during Ganesh Chaturthi and on the day of Naagpanchami by the NKGSB community of Karwar.
This dish typically uses the ingredients which are used in the NKGSB community in their daily cooking.
I have given this healthy dish a tiny, still healthier twist by adding oats, ragi flour and mixed dry fruits to the filling and jowar flour to the outer covering, keeping it’s original taste intact.
For the filling:
2 Long Turmeric leaves
1/2 cup Fresh grated coconut
3/4 cup Jaggery… to be adjusted
1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
1/4 cup Oats
2 tbs Ragi flour
1/4 cup Chopped mixed dry fruits
1 pinch Salt
For the outer covering :
1/4 cup Rice flour
1/4 cup Jowar flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1. To begin making the Paatolyo, first mix together the jaggery, grated coconut, cardamom powder, salt, ragi flour and oats and cook in a kadhai till jaggery melts and the entire mixture thickens.
2. Add to it the chopped dry fruits.
3. Wash and dry the turmeric leaves.
4. Mix together the rice flour, jowar flour and salt and make a thick spreadable paste using water as required.
5. Grease a steamer plate or keep a thin moistened cloth over it.
6. On the inner side of one turmeric leaf, spread a layer of the flour paste so as to cover the entire leaf leaving a border of about a centimetre.
7. Spread some filling lightly on one vertical half of the paste. Fold the other half of the leaf lightly over the filled half and seal the edges giving a little pressure.
8. Place on the steamer plate and steam for 15 min.
9. Serve with some homemade ghee.
Rice and Jowar flour paste :
A very healthy and delicious sweet dish which doesn’t need a special occasion to be relished!