Sol Kadhi is also called as Kokum Kadhi in some places. Kokum is said to reduce acidity and aid digestion. It’s juice mixed with fresh coconut milk, gives a digestive and delicious Sol Kadhi.
In some regions of Maharashtra, it is relished daily with fish curry or just steamed rice. There is one more version of this delicious digestive drink called as Tival which is made without using coconut milk. In Karwar, the GSBs have the Kokum Kadhi as well as the Tival with varan Bhaat (plain daal rice).
1 1/2 cup Fresh grated coconut
1 green chilli
1 tsp Corriander leaves
Water as required
Salt to taste
1. The first thing to be done is to soak the kokum in hot water for about an hour.
2. Grind the coconut and green chilli using 1/2 cup water to get coconut milk. Squeeze the coconut well to get the first thick extract.
3. Repeat the process twice more to get more coconut milk adding lesser water each time. Altogether the extract should be about 2 cups.
4. Now squeeze the soaked kokum to get kokum juice. Add it to the coconut milk.
5. Mix and add salt to taste and some fresh chopped coriander.
6. Serve cold with fish curry or just daal rice or as a digestive drink.
7. Do serve some Phodi as an accompaniment when served with varan and hot steamed rice.
1-2 CLoves of garlic can be crushed and added to the Kadhi.
Or even cumin and jaggery can be added to get a mildly sweet flavor. Both ways it’s delicious.
Coconut milk :
Soaked kokum :
Sol Kadhi :