Daal is a staple diet in almost all Indian households. Daal is a good source of protein and is also included in meals even when on a diet as it is wholesome and is good for our health. Daali toay…. a type of thin daal with ginger and green chillies flavour from the NKGSB cuisine of Karwar.
The word toay means… thin watery! This daal is purposely made a bit thin in consistency. The NKGSBs are ardent fish eaters. But on certain days when only veg food is made for religious purposes, toay is a preferred favourite! An accompaniment of some Phodi by the side will do very well with it!
For more such daal recipies do give a try to the……
1) Daal Tadka
Here’s the recipe for Daali Toay….
1/2 cup tuar daal (split pigeon peas)
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
2 Green chillies
1 inch Ginger
2 tsp Homemade ghee clarified butter)
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1 sprig Curry leaves
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves
1. Soak the daal in sufficient water for about 1 1/2 hour.
2. Wash thoroughly and pressure cook adding salt, green chilli pieces(long), ginger slices and turmeric powder.
3. Remove the cooked daal from the pressure cooker and mash lightly. Add salt and sufficient water to get a thin consistency. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Add the chopped coriander leaves.
4. For tempering, in a small kadhai Heat the ghee and add the mustard seeds. As soon as they splutter add the asafoetida and the curry leaves. Pour this over the daal and keep covered for a while.
7. Else just serve some NKGSB Style Sweet And Sour Raw Mango Chutney as an accompaniment.