Daal, a very important food item in Indian households. And why shouldn’t it be, after all the plain simple daal is a powerhouse of proteins! A staple diet in almost all homes!
Here I am presenting a recipe of a particular daal fry which I have relished from a nearby restaurant for the last 21 years. How much ever I tried, I simply couldn’t crack their recipe. But just recently, when I just casually mixed certain daals and followed the restaurant’s tempering method, which I had understood long back….. I got the daal which tasted exactly like theirs!
The combination of these daals makes it a highly nutritious one!
1/2 cup Split Pigeon Peas (Tuar Daal)
1/4 cup Split Green Gram (Moong Chilka Daal)
1/4 cup Red Lentils (Masoor Daal)
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/4 cup Fresh corriander
2 Small onions
2 Green chillies
2-3 Garlic cloves
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1 sprig Curry leaves
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
2 tbs Oil
Salt to taste
1. Wash and soak the mentioned daals in water for about an hour.
2. Pressure cook with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder till done.
3. In a saucepan, heat oil and add cumin, asafoetida, curry leaves, chopped green chillies and roughly crushed garlic for tempering. Saute.
4. Add to it the finely chopped onions and mix well. Saute till onions turn translucent.
5. Add the remaining turmeric powder and mix.
6. When the onions are cooked add the boiled and mashed daal and salt to taste. Add required quantity of water to adjust consistency.
7. Bring to a boil and simmer for a while. Check seasoning.